Already, friends are calling me about putting their home on the market come spring. As I meet with each one, I tell them, "This is the time in Nebraska that you work on the inside of your home to get it ready for the market. Then when spring weather comes, you can work on the outside." What to do, you ask? Here are a few ideas.
- Start by cleaning out your kitchen cabinets. Throw away anything that is out of date for safe eating. Wash the cabinets inside to make them look new again. Want to make the outside look good? If you have wood cabinets, take car wax and wax your cabinets just like you would your car. It brings a great shine to them.
- If your cabinets are looking weary and worn, consider painting them. Stick with a neutral color that would appeal to most buyers. Add new hardware and your kitchen will look like new.
- Clean and organize closets in your home. The fuller the closet, the smaller it looks. Your Buyers will think you don't have enough storage and may pass on your home. Goodwill would love to have your donations.
- Now is the time to focus on painting the interior of your home. Stay with a neutral pallet to appeal to most buyers. Nothing says fresh like a new coat of paint and it's an inexpensive way to get a new look.
- Clear out the clutter. When Buyers come through your home and you have clutter, they will be distracted by your clutter and you want them to focus on your home.
- Start talking to your real estate agent now to get their advise on what you should be doing to get your specific home ready to sell.
- Does your real estate agent offer staging? This is an important factor in real estate now. Some agents just put your house on the market. I take careful care with my clients to see that their house looks the best and stands out from the rest. Check out my before & after staging pictures at www.HuskerDreamHomes.com.
It's never too late to get started. Get your interior ready NOW and you'll have some time to enjoy it before it sells! Contact me for a free market analysis or evaluation. What have you got to lose?