Having shown hundreds of homes, you can imagine some of the things I've seen. Probably the best and the worst would have to be in bathrooms. I've found anything from complete disgust to complete delight. Whether your bathroom has been freshly remodeled or is original with your home, there are things you can do to make your bathroom shine like the Chrysler Dome!
1. Do I even need to say it? Clean your bathroom. Make it sparkle like it's never been used.
2. Often there is a white calcium buildup on shower doors. There are many products on the market for cleaning shower doors, but my favorite by far is the Magic Eraser. If your shower doors have gaps or leaks, you probably need to replace them. If you do decide to replace the doors, I would suggest replacing the them with obscure glass rather than clear glass. It's so much easier to keep clean and it also gives you a little more privacy. Make sure all tile and grout are clean and free from any mold.
3. If you have a white crusted shower liner and/or curtain, throw it out and spring for a new one. Here's a little tip.....look in the window treatment section at your local department store for curtains to be used as a shower curtain (see pictures above). I've done this in my bathrooms and have them pulled back to the side with a tie back and then have a liner behind it to be used for showers. By shopping in this department, you'll have a much larger selection than with the shower curtains that are offered. Try to stay neutral. Avoid fish, mermaids, rubber duckies, etc. Neutral paint is also highly preferred. One more thing, NEVER use flat paint in a bathroom. Flat paint is hard to keep clean and also it doesn't repel water.
4. If your faucets are leaky, drippy and grimy, replace them. Replacing a faucet can be tricky so if you don't know what you're doing, hire someone who does. Water damage is number one in causing damage to homes. Water leaks can lead to mold and then you've really got a problem. A leak will come up in a home inspection. Repair it now.
5. Invest in some plush towels to display only when you're showing the house. If you have the room, find a nice basket and display some rolled towels in it either on the counter top or on the floor by the bathtub. Use your imagination.
6. Make sure any bathroom cabinets and/or closets are organized and neat. Here are a couple of tips for you. A. Unless you can fold a great bathroom towel (I can't), fold them in half and then in half again and then roll them. Stack them in your closet and you'll have a super neat look. B. Organize your closet with baskets or plastic bins. Show your Buyers that you care about your home and you've taken good care of it. It also makes it so much easier to pack when you are ready to move.
7. Don't ignore the lighting in your bathroom. If you have an outdated light fixture, replace it. The Home Depot and Lowes both have great selections in a variety of prices. Installing a new light is so easy. I've even done it. Make sure you turn off the power to that light or you could have a "shocking" experience. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)
8. Whatever flooring you have in your bathroom, make sure it's clean. I know in many northern parts of the U.S. we love the warmth of carpet in our bathrooms. But more and more people are turning away from this, mainly because of the dampness that gets trapped in carpet and can cause other problems. Carpet in bathrooms is a real turn off to Buyers. Tile seems to be the most popular flooring for bathrooms right now. But if that doesn't fit into your budget, try new vinyl. If you have existing vinyl, just make sure it's clean, free of any cuts or tears and secure around the baseboards.
9. Keep your counter-tops, tubs & shower free from all products. Clutter doesn't look good in any room.
10. Same song, third verse ~ Paint your bathroom a neutral, calming color.
Bathrooms are a place of refuge and relaxation. Soaking in a hot bubble bath after work can be so calming. Young mommies want to get away from their children for a few minutes and the bathroom is sometimes where they can go. And who doesn't sing into their hairbrush in front of their mirror or in the shower? Make your bathroom a place of peace & relaxation, not "There's so much work to do in this bathroom.I don't want to buy this house!" I guarantee you, your Buyers will love you for it.